Wednesday, July 3, 2013

DIY: Framed Jewellry Holders

     With only 8 days left before my due date, I figured I can sit down in my nice cool basement and write up another post before I head our grocery shopping!
     While not a tutorial, this is more of a "hey I saw this on Pinterest and had the opportunity so I grabbed it" kind of thing. While down in Pennsylvania on my little mini vacation, I was helping my wonderful grandfather make new cabinet doors for a customer. The original doors were just wooden frame (see picture to the left) with stained glass inside, the customer wanted to save the stained glass but make new frames to match her custom cabinets that my grandfather had already made. So after taking them apart, he told me to take the old frames to the dumpster and on my way I got distracted by something shiny and the idea to make jewelry holders out of the old frames. You can find pictures and ideas all over Pinterest for hundreds of variations of these and full on tutorials that will explain it in much more detail, or just do a general search for "DIY jewelry holder." 

     After sanding all the sides of the frames and removing all the old hardware, I went in search of some paint. My grandfather does a lot of traditional style work so the colors that he had were not necessarily the bright cheery ones that I would have picked but they worked for this on-the-fly project. The sanding done and a few coats of paint on and the frames were ready the lace background used to hold earrings. We raided my grandmother's old curtains for ones that were past their prime and cut them to fit the frame. The picture to the left is of dear sweet hubby stapling the lace to the back of the frame. After that was done, we picked out some interesting and slightly matching cabinet pulls and cup hooks, drilled them into place, hung picture frame wire on the backs and called it a day. All in all, the projects cost around ten dollars for three complete jewelry holders. Although, Hubby did point out that if we took into consideration our labor costs and any sort of profit margin, we would have to sell them for $75 each, so maybe not the most profitable venture. It was fun and I enjoyed trying a new project and convincing DH to help out. Can't wait to try the next project!!!



     




No comments:

Post a Comment