Monday, January 27, 2014

Why the Grammy's Won me over



Hubby and I spent Sunday night watching the Grammy's and forcing him through Downton Abbey. By the way, I love sassy Carson and I am still unsure of the Anna storyline. But on to the point. I liked more than one of the performances last night on the Grammy's. Katy Perry impressed me with a neat theatrical performance of Dark Horse and Beyonce never disappoints me. Hubby and I are both fans of Jay-Z so of course we were happy about that. Throw in some Pharrel, Daft Punk, JT, Stevie Wonder and it was a great night musically. I might even watch more awards shows after this one (as long as I can still break in the middle to watch Downton Abbey, nothing will come between me and a great period piece). 

But the moment that got me the most, down to my core was Macklemore's "Same Love." I have heard the song numerous times and each time I tear a little, but last night the live performance and the simultaneous weddings brought me to actual, honest-to-goodness tears. I am impressed when celebrities use their power (because they do have power, don't ever think otherwise) to make the world a better place. Whether is it fighting hunger, racism, democratic rights or something so socially polarizing as an equal right to marry, when a celebrity makes a stand, I respect them more. 
What is the point to all the fame, the 24 hour media coverage, the tabloids, the rumours and the gossip if you don't use that power for the betterment of humanity? That is exactly what Macklemore, with Queen Latifah and Madonna, has done. From what I can see, he seems a good person. A person that sees other people no matter the money he makes or the fame he gets. He hasn't lost that spark of humanity that connects him to people. While "Thrift Shop" may not have been the humanitarian anthem that "Same Love" is, I think that we can forgive him that. ;) 
Thank you, Macklemore and company for taking this awards show, making a statement, and supporting every single individual's right to love and be loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment