Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Upcycled Flannel Sheet

My latest sewing project was supposed to be done for Christmas presents, but alas life distracted me. On a thrifting trip in November I picked up this super soft and warm flannel flat sheet with a plaid (Tartan?) pattern. It was subdued and would be fine for a boy or a girl. I had planned on making pajama pants that all three kids could wear for Christmas pictures, then when that didn't happen I figured that I could also use it for a Celtic inspired Renfaire costume. Thankfully, I buckled and found my pajama pant pattern. Last year I had cut out each size into muslin so I could keep using them and that plan worked out well since I didn't have to play with the tissue paper pattern again.  I love being able to reuse things that I find at the thrift store. This sheet cost me all of $2 and I made 2.5 pajama bottoms from it. I used a McCall's pattern as the base and ended up cutting out a couple other pairs for the rest of the year, some in flannel for the cold and some in cotton for the summer. The hardest part of pajama pants is threading the elastic through the top hem, other than that, in total I spent two hours making all three. The kids were happy to get new pajamas since last year's were already two or three inches too short! 
On to the next project! 

After making three pairs of pajamas, this was all that was left! Well used piece of fabric to me
to help keep track of which pants are whose, I used fabric paint that I had and white fabric to make tags that I then ironed onto the back seam
Here is the label that was on the sheet. Twin sized, 100% cotton and made in Portugal!


Here are the three pairs of pajama pants. The two bigger sizes, I used the existing hems from the top and the bottom of the sheet. The infant pants were without a pattern and were not as successful, but next time!

Cap and E getting ready for pictures. E loves being a big sister and Cap loves the attention!

Prepping for the group photo that I had to have!

Our group photo of matching pajama pants and lots of Rogers' bellies! Hubby and I love this photo, it is too cute. 


No comments:

Post a Comment